Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11
Manali: It was 11.11.11 and the thick blanket of snow covering the hills surrounding this picturesque Himalayan town made it all the more perfect for tourists looking to make Friday a memorable day.
"The hills overlooking Manali have been experiencing mild to moderate snow," a met department official said.
Rohtang Pass, located at an altitude of 13,050 feet and 52 km from here, has accumulated a fair amount of snow.
"There are chances that the hills would experience a mild spell of snow Friday too. After that the weather would be clear," he added.
As news of the snowfall flashed in the plains, tourists started descending on Manali to have a glimpse of snow in nearby hills.
"We are hopeful of getting a record footfall this weekend. A good number has already started arriving after snow in the higher reaches," Manali District Tourism Officer Balbir Thakur said.
"The white hills are a charming sight," Abhilasha Singh, a tourist from Delhi, remarked while watching the peaks from Manali.
Peaks overlooking other popular tourist resorts like Kalpa, Sangla, Dharamsala and Palampur have also got fresh snow.
"The higher reaches in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba districts witnessed moderate snowfall during the past 24 hours. Such conditions would continue," the official added.
The state`s lower areas, including Dharamsala, Shimla, Solan, Nahan, Chamba and Mandi, have been experiencing cold conditions.
Manali, which saw 1 mm of rain, Friday recorded a low of 9.4 degrees Celsius, while it was 13.1 degrees in Shimla, 7.5 degrees in Kalpa, and 13.7 degrees in Dharamsala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore