Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11
Manali: It was 11.11.11 and the thick blanket of snow covering the hills surrounding this picturesque Himalayan town made it all the more perfect for tourists looking to make Friday a memorable day.
"The hills overlooking Manali have been experiencing mild to moderate snow," a met department official said.
Rohtang Pass, located at an altitude of 13,050 feet and 52 km from here, has accumulated a fair amount of snow.
"There are chances that the hills would experience a mild spell of snow Friday too. After that the weather would be clear," he added.
As news of the snowfall flashed in the plains, tourists started descending on Manali to have a glimpse of snow in nearby hills.
"We are hopeful of getting a record footfall this weekend. A good number has already started arriving after snow in the higher reaches," Manali District Tourism Officer Balbir Thakur said.
"The white hills are a charming sight," Abhilasha Singh, a tourist from Delhi, remarked while watching the peaks from Manali.
Peaks overlooking other popular tourist resorts like Kalpa, Sangla, Dharamsala and Palampur have also got fresh snow.
"The higher reaches in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba districts witnessed moderate snowfall during the past 24 hours. Such conditions would continue," the official added.
The state`s lower areas, including Dharamsala, Shimla, Solan, Nahan, Chamba and Mandi, have been experiencing cold conditions.
Manali, which saw 1 mm of rain, Friday recorded a low of 9.4 degrees Celsius, while it was 13.1 degrees in Shimla, 7.5 degrees in Kalpa, and 13.7 degrees in Dharamsala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note