Virbhadra new Himachal Cong chief
Shimla: Ending two-week-long uncertainty, the Congress central leadership on Sunday appointed former Union minister Virbhadra Singh as Himachal Pradesh Congress chief replacing Kaul Singh Thakur.
There was no official confirmation from the AICC but Kaul Singh, who returned here from Delhi, said he had tendered his resignation and Virbhadra Singh would take over as new HPCC president.
AICC general secretary and in-charge of party`s affairs in Himachal, Birender Chaudhary, also confirmed that Virbhadra had been appointed the Himachal Congress chief.
"Virbhadra has been made state party chief and the move will brighten party`s poll prospects in the upcoming assembly election," he said.
The delay in appointment of a new PCC chief had virtually halted all activities and the party had to cancel the proposed siege of Vidhan Sabha tomorrow.
Party sources said Virbhadra Singh would take over on August 29 and the deferred gherao of the state assembly would take place the same day.
They said the campaign committee for the state assembly election, which was headed by Virbhadra, would now be chaired by Union Commerce and Industry minister Anand Sharma.
Virbhadra had resigned from the Union Cabinet two months ago ago after a court framed charges of corruption against him and his wife Pratibha Singh, a former MP, in the audio-CD case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’