Sydney: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday addressed the euphoric Indian diaspora at the Allphones Arena here and pitched for a clean and developed India.
Here are 10 best quotes of PM Modi's speech:
- I see no reason why India should stay behind. It is decided we will move ahead.
- It is my good fortune that I'm the first prime minister of India to be born post-1947. We did not get the opportunity to die for the nation or spend our youth in jail during the freedom struggle. But we can surely live for the nation.
- Sydney is a beautiful city and Australia is a beautiful country. Both India and Australia can't live without cricket.
- If we take up the challenge then the bad image of India can also be cleaned up. I invite you all to contribute to the movement in any way you can. Illness is a big burden on the poor. There is no greater service to the poor than focusing on cleanliness.
- Spoke to Reserve Bank about 'Jan Dhan Yojana' who said it will take three years. I announced on August 15 that I want the work in 150 days. I said that January 26 is the final date, and all bank employees are on overdrive to get rural families access to the banking system.
- It took 28 years for an Indian prime minister to come to Australia. My friends in Australia, I assure you... you won't have to wait for 28 years.
- Mother India has got 2,500 million arms of which 2000 million arms are of young people. They have dreams, they are full of energy, they have the capacity to etch things in stone.
- We have started the 'Make in India' programme for job creation for our youth, who can contribute to the world. Whenever someone wants to invest in a country, the investors need to be given high quality of life. That is what 'Make in India' aims to do
- In Australia people speak with the same respect to a doctor as with a driver. This dignity of labour is something to learn from. In India the garbage collector is called the "kachchra wala". "But he in reality is removing the filth... our mentality needs to change."
- The least we can do for Mahatma Gandhi is have a clean India.