Lucknow: The oldest litigant in Babri Masjid case, Mohammad Hashim Ansari, has declared that he doesn't want to pursue the matter any further and wants 'Ram Lalla' (infant Ram) to be free.
Expressing unhappiness over the politicisation of the Babri case, Ansari, who has been fighting the case since 1959, said he will not attend any protest meeting on Dec 6 to mark the anniversary of Babri Masjid demolition.
Speaking to the mediapersons, Ansari said that the people who are reaping political benefits are staying in bungalows whereas 'Ram Lalla' is living in a tent.
“I want to see 'Ram Lalla' free,” Ansari asserted.
Criticising Uttar Pradesh Minister Azam Khan for calling Ram Janambhoomi "a dead issue", Ansari took a dig at him and said that from now on Khan will pursue the case and not him.
He also accused Khan of playing politics over the Babri issue.
Last month Khan had said the Ayodhya issue was "almost dead" as a "temple already exists there" and alleged that the BJP wanted to keep it alive to vitiate the atmosphere.
Reacting to Ansari's statement, Zafaryab Jilani, Convenor of Babri Masjid Action Committee, said that Ansari's recusal from the case wouldn't have much effect.
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati said that it is a very serious issue and demanded a probe into Ansari's remarks.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Siddharth Nath Singh welcomed Ansari's decision saying that it's time that talks should be held and a bigger Ram Mandir should be constructed on the site.