Hajj stampede: Death toll of Indians rises to 101, 32 still missing

The toll of Indian pilgrims killed in the stampede near Mecca in Saudi Arabia during Hajj has risen to 101.

Hajj stampede: Death toll of Indians rises to 101, 32 still missing

New Delhi: The toll of Indian pilgrims killed in the stampede near Mecca in Saudi Arabia during Hajj has risen to 101.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj took to microblogging website Twitter and said 32 nationals still remain missing after the last month's tragedy.

The earlier toll was 81.

The External Affairs Ministry has put on its website the list of Indians who died in the Mina stampede, the list of hospitalised/injured patients and the list of Indians from the Hajj committee and private tour operators missing as reported at the Indian Hajj Mission.

Minister of State for External Affairs VK Singh was in Saudi Arabia for the identification process of the missing Indians by the Saudi authorities, MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup had said yesterday.

"The minister sought the intervention of the Saudi Health Minister to find the identities of all the Indian pilgrims. He also conveyed that several missing cases were still pending with the Indian mission and it can only be resolved after the identification process is complete. Singh has been assured of all support and assistance by the Saudi minister," he had said.

The Hajj stampede on September 24 broke out after two massive lines of pilgrims converged on each other from different directions at an intersection close to the five- storey Jamarat Bridge in Mina for symbolic stoning of the devil.

It was the second major accident this year for Hajj pilgrims after a construction crane collapsed on September 11 at Mecca's Grand Mosque, killing over 100 people, including 11 Indians. 

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close