Malda: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh is likely to visit West Bengal's Malda district on Jan 18, which has recently witnessed violence that led to communal tension in the area. Here are the top 10 developments so far:-
- The proposed visit of Rajnath Singh assumes significance as Union Home Ministry has already sought a report from Mamata Banerjee-led state government on the Malda violence
- There are reports that some people have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the incident. Besides, there have been unconfirmed reports of gun fire in the area
- Tension gripped West Bengal's Malda district on Sunday after a mob torched the entire police station and several vehicles during a protest rally against Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha leader Kamlesh Tiwari
- The protest rally was organised by a Muslim organisation - Anjuman Ahle Sunnatul Jamaat (AJS)
- Kamlesh Tiwari had allegedly called Prophet Muhammad the first homosexual in the world. Tiwari's statement came a day after UP Cabinet minister and senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan called RSS members homosexuals.
- BJP is accusing Mamata Banerjee's government of shielding the accused as only 9 out of 130 accused were arrested till Wednesday. Also, 6 of 9 were let off with bail hours after the arrest took place.
- Shamik Bhattacharya, the lone BJP MLA in West Bengal, was detained on Wednesday. He was not allowed to visit Kaliachak village, which had witnessed violence on Sunday.
- The Centre has now sought a report from West Bengal government on the Malda communal violence. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh is likely to visit West Bengal's Malda district on Jan 18
- A huge amount of public properties were due to mob attack; Section 144 is still imposed in the area since Sunday night
- Additional security forces including RAF jawan have been deployed to control the situation and face any untoward incident
However, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday had said there is no communal tension in the state and described the recent violence in Kaliachak in Malda district as a result of scuffle between BSF and local people.