Manoj Tiwari appointed Delhi BJP president, Nityanand Rai given charge of Bihar
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Wednesday, decided to change party presidents in Delhi and Bihar.
Manoj Tiwari, popular Bhojpuri singer and BJP MP from North-East Delhi, replaced Satish Upadhyay as the president of the Delhi unit.
"Manoj Tiwari will replace Satish Upadhyay as BJP chief with immediate effect," an official statement said.
Tiwari's elevation can be seen as an attempt by the BJP to woo Purvanchali and Bihari voters, who form a sizeable chunk of the electorate.
Given the huge following 45-year-old Tiwari commands among Bhojpuri speaking voters, the BJP will be hoping that his popularity will translate into more support for the party from the group.
The BJP central leadership has also appointed Nityanand Rai as its Bihar chief. He will be replacing Mangal Pandey.
50-year-old Rai is a Lok Sabha MP from Bihar's Ujiarpur constituency. He is a Yadav, a community over which RJD chief Lalu Prasad has a strong hold.
His appointment is seen as an effort by the BJP to go beyond the upper castes, its traditional voters, and reach out to the OBCs in the caste-conscious state where it lost to JDU-RJD combine in the last assembly polls.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened