New Delhi: Shortly after Sonia and Rahul Gandhi were granted bail in the National Heral case, Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi took the grand old party head on saying Congress and corruption are made for each other.
Addressing a press conference, the senior BJP leader said, “When we say Congress-mukt bharat, we mean Corruption-mukt bharat. Unfortunately Congress and corruption are made for each other.”
“Even in the Opposition they are best at corruption and misrule. Today in their demeanour, it seemed they are not the accused but freedom fighters. They are accusing the BJP as if it's our doing. Even today, Congress stands by corruption. Their negative, arrogant attitude will come back to bite them,” he added.
Further hitting out over the said scam, Naqvi said, “You say the National Herald is you viraasat, it may be. So are all the scams and swindles in it. What does the BJP have to do with it? It's not as if the BJP has summoned you. We request the Congress party to fight the battle in the court. The country can see Congress still stands for corruption. So what we are saying there is no need for you to be scared.”
On providing government accommodations, Naqvi said, “Who gave Robert Vadra a bungalow? He is not a lawmaker. I think Congress should do some homework.
A lot of people who are not members of either of the Houses are granted government accommodations on security basis. This also includes Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.”
Further commenting on the washout of winter session, the BJP leader added, “In the all-party meet, all parties are committed to fulfil the losses in the Winter session, work late night and pass the pending bills. We believe that they will do so. Will have to wait and watch on Monday.”
Earlier in the day, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi were granted bail in the hearing in the National Herald case.
The next hearing for the said case is scheduled for February 20, at 2 pm.
The Gandhis along with the other accused in the case appeared before Metropolitan Magistrate Lovleen in response to summons issued against them.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy filed the case in a local court in 2012. The trial court then issued summons to the two leaders among others in June 2014, but they approached the Delhi High Court seeking a stay. On Monday this week, the high court refused to stay the summons, and asked all of the accused to appear for a hearing on December 19.
The accused face allegations that they illegally acquired property worth Rs 5,000 crore belonging to the National Herald newspaper.