close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Will take pro-active steps to deal with Pakistan proxy war: Manohar Parrikar

On a day when the US asked Pakistan to fight all terror groups, India on Tuesday warned that "pro-active" steps will be taken to deal with the "proxy war" supported by the neighbouring country and said a "difference" will be seen in the next six months.



Lucknow/New Delhi: On a day when the US asked Pakistan to fight all terror groups, India on Tuesday warned that "pro-active" steps will be taken to deal with the "proxy war" supported by the neighbouring country and said a "difference" will be seen in the next six months.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar while sending a tough message to Pakistan over ceasefire violations and infiltrations by militants also said it will be ensured that the "enemy" doesn't show any more interest in proxy war. At the same time, he said India wanted peace with Pakistan.

Parrikar's remarks came even as Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh accused Pakistan of continuing to support "proxy war" in Jammu and Kashmir despite suffering casualties due to terror on its soil.

Asking Pakistan to target all militant groups, US Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters in Islamabad that terror outfits like LeT, Taliban and the Haqqani network posed a threat to countries in the region like India and also to the US.

"On proxy war, the government is very clear about what is happening. We have taken a stand and though I will not like to tell you what is the exact action we are taking...You will be able to see the difference by the time summer gets over. In the next 6 months you will see the difference in actual figures," Parrikar told a press conference in Lucknow.

Stating that "one difference" is already visible, he said the number of terrorists neutralised so far this year is about 65 to 70 per cent more than that in last year.

"We want peace with our neighbours, but if there is an attempt for proxy war, we will take some proactive steps. What kind of proactive steps cannot be revealed in a press conference.

"But, I can assure you that we will ensure that enemy doesn't show any interest in proxy war or the interest comes down," he added.

To a question on dialogue with Pakistan, the Defence Minister said, "India's position is very clear. The stand taken by the Ministry of External Affairs is clear. If any dialogue has to be done with Pakistan, they should first stop ceasefire violation and intrusion of terrorists."

"If it does not stop, then dialogue alone will not bring a solution. That should be very clear, intention expressed should be reflected in performance and delivery on the ground," he said.

In Delhi, the Army Chief said, "Pakistan is supporting proxy war in Jammu and Kashmir despite suffering casualties within their country".

Gen Singh said one will have to "wait and watch" if Pakistan Army has had a change of heart since the gruesome terror attack on an Army school in Peshawar last month.

"Threats and challenges have been growing, both in intensity as well as commitment, because of active borders that we have," Singh said addressing his annual press conference.

The comments by Parrikar and Gen Singh came close on the heels of allegations by Pakistan Prime Minister's Adviser on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz that India was "involved in the attacks on Pakistan from Afghanistan".

Parrikar said, "If your enemies are doing something then

you can do only one thing, and, that is to give a reply. We have started replying. Ceasefire violation has increased a bit on the international border, but has declined on the Line of Control.

"If you see the statistics, there is a huge difference, but when it happened we replied to them with much more emphasis and determination," he said.

The Defence Minister said certain exercises were on to put enough pressure across the border.

"My work is that on Kashmir border where the army is positioned. If there is any infiltration, a befitting reply should be given. We will definitely ensure that the country's borders do not remain a place for infiltrators. That much I can guarantee," he said.

On his reported that statement that crew members of suspected "terror boat" from Pakistan might have consumed cyanide pills, Parrikar said he never stated that they consumed poison.

"I said that they could have used any method to commit suicide. Immolation is not necessary, because some people were saying that they burnt themselves, they can even consume poison," he said.

Usually, he said, terrorists carried cyanide capsules and in this case too it could have been so.

To a question about China, he said, "Sab cheezey theek honi chahiye, sab logon ko theek karna chahiye aisa nahi hai (everything should be correct, but it is not that everyone has to be corrected)."

On the role of middlemen in arms deals, the Defence Minister said they would be permitted only as a representative or as a technical advisor.

"It (the proposal) is in formulation stage and has not been notified yet. The idea is...It should not include commission, percentage based on success fee or bonuses," he said.

"Commission payment is not permitted and will not be allowed. Such provision (to have representative) already exists, but it is not spelt out clearly. We will spell it out clearly," he said.

On issues pending from several years like closure of roads, Parrikar said, "We have started working out solution one by one. An order has been issued that all roads which have been blocked without following the laid down procedure should be opened."

He said that another issue is welfare of the ex-servicemen.

The Defence Minister said that there were a large number of cases pending in various courts, particularly with regard to disability.

"There are some 3,000 to 4,000 pending cases at various levels. We have taken a decision that we will not make disabled ex-servicemen fight unnecessarily in the courts. The benefit will flow to all the disabled soldiers," he said.

Parrikar said that the online registration for army recruitment drive was being introduced on trial basis at two places.

"If we get successful response we will use similar type of technique here also so that there is no unnecessary rush at the time of drive," he said.

 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video

DNA EXCLUSIVES

Triple Talaq verdict: Supreme Court relied on these Quran verses in its landmark judgment

Triple Talaq Verdict: Shah Bano to Shayara Bano

Will China do the balancing act in US-N Korea standoff?

How to respond to IT notice for mismatch of your income as per Form 16?

Triple Talaq verdict: Let's remember this day