4 hurt in Srinagar blast, militant killed in gunfight
Srinagar: Four people including two paramilitary Border Security Force (BSF) troopers were wounded on Tuesday afternoon in a powerful explosion in the high security city centre, Lal Chowk, officials said.
A senior police officer said guerrillas tossed a hand grenade at a parked BSF vehicle in Lal Chowk this afternoon, wounding two troopers sitting in the vehicle and two civilian bystanders.
"The injured were taken to hospital for treatment," the police officer said.
The area near the clock tower in Lal Chowk was cordoned off by the police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to conduct a search.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the blast which came as the army, CRPF and police were busy searching a forest area near the south Kashmir saffron-rich Pampore town Tuesday afternoon.
During the search, hiding militants opened fire at the surrounding troops, a police officer said.
"So far one militant has been killed and a trooper wounded in the continuing gunbattle," the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test