Army Chief to visit J-K later this month
New Delhi: In his first visit as Army Chief, Gen Bikram Singh will travel to Jammu and Kashmir later this month to review the security situation in the state.
The Army Chief will visit the state in the third week of June where he will discuss the security situation with top commanders there, army officials said.
It is familiar turf for Gen Singh who had served as the commander of Srinagar-based 15 Corps, which handles all the counter terrorist operations in the Valley, and the 10 Division in Akhnoor.
During the visit to the formations under the Northern Command Headquarters in Udhampur, the Army Chief will be briefed about the prevailing situation there.
His visit is coming at a time when the violence levels in the state have come down significantly and demands are being made for the withdrawal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
The State Government has also been contending that certain parts of the states are peaceful and the withdrawal of AFSPA from these areas would send the right signal to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof