Army deployed in curfew-bound J&K district after clashes
Srinagar: The Army on Wednesday deployed several columns of its men in curfew-bound areas hit by sectarian violence in Budgam district of central Kashmir to help the administration restore law and order, officials said.
"We have deployed several columns on the request of civil administration in parts of Budgam district to assist police to restore law and order," Army spokesman in Shariefabad headquarters of Kilo-Force, Colonel V K Sharma said.
He said the situation has remained under control since the deployment of Army.
Authorities imposed curfew in some parts of Budgam district following violence, including incidents of arson yesterday, the officials said.
They, however, refused to give details about the number of houses torched by the rival sects.
Sources said at least a dozen houses were set on fire, resulting in extensive damage to the structures, but there was no report of any casualty.
Extra security forces were rushed to the affected areas last night to maintain peace as senior officials of police and state administration requested people to maintain calm.
Announcements were made through public address systems asking people not to pay heed to rumours that were being spread by people with vested interests.
Violence broke out in Sabdan, Galwanpora and Reshipora villages of Budgam on Friday night following dispute between two sects over construction of a village road.
Separatists as well as mainstream parties, including ruling National Conference and opposition PDP, condemned the violence and appealed people to maintain calm and "foil the nefarious designs of vested elements bent on creating a wedge between the two communities."
Separatist groups have blamed intelligence agencies for fuelling the violence to divert attention from alleged human rights violations like the Gool firing incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17