Army deployed in curfew-bound J&K district after clashes
Srinagar: The Army on Wednesday deployed several columns of its men in curfew-bound areas hit by sectarian violence in Budgam district of central Kashmir to help the administration restore law and order, officials said.
"We have deployed several columns on the request of civil administration in parts of Budgam district to assist police to restore law and order," Army spokesman in Shariefabad headquarters of Kilo-Force, Colonel V K Sharma said.
He said the situation has remained under control since the deployment of Army.
Authorities imposed curfew in some parts of Budgam district following violence, including incidents of arson yesterday, the officials said.
They, however, refused to give details about the number of houses torched by the rival sects.
Sources said at least a dozen houses were set on fire, resulting in extensive damage to the structures, but there was no report of any casualty.
Extra security forces were rushed to the affected areas last night to maintain peace as senior officials of police and state administration requested people to maintain calm.
Announcements were made through public address systems asking people not to pay heed to rumours that were being spread by people with vested interests.
Violence broke out in Sabdan, Galwanpora and Reshipora villages of Budgam on Friday night following dispute between two sects over construction of a village road.
Separatists as well as mainstream parties, including ruling National Conference and opposition PDP, condemned the violence and appealed people to maintain calm and "foil the nefarious designs of vested elements bent on creating a wedge between the two communities."
Separatist groups have blamed intelligence agencies for fuelling the violence to divert attention from alleged human rights violations like the Gool firing incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic