Army kills guerrilla in gunfight on Kashmir highway
Srinagar: One separatist guerrilla was killed late Tuesday by Army troops when guerrillas fired upon their vehicle on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, authorities said Wednesday.
A senior police officer said an Army vehicle was fired upon at Bagpora (Awantipora) on Jammu-Srinagar national highway in Pulwama district, 35 km from here.
"The alert troops of the army returned the militant fire, resulting in the death of one militant," the police officer said.
"While the exact identity of the slain militant is being established, one AK-56 rifle has been recovered," he added.
The defence spokesman here confirmed the killing of the guerrilla and the recovery of a weapon from his possession.
The spokesman also confirmed that the troops did not suffer any damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore