Army kills guerrilla in gunfight on Kashmir highway
Srinagar: One separatist guerrilla was killed late Tuesday by Army troops when guerrillas fired upon their vehicle on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, authorities said Wednesday.
A senior police officer said an Army vehicle was fired upon at Bagpora (Awantipora) on Jammu-Srinagar national highway in Pulwama district, 35 km from here.
"The alert troops of the army returned the militant fire, resulting in the death of one militant," the police officer said.
"While the exact identity of the slain militant is being established, one AK-56 rifle has been recovered," he added.
The defence spokesman here confirmed the killing of the guerrilla and the recovery of a weapon from his possession.
The spokesman also confirmed that the troops did not suffer any damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea