Army orders probe into killing of youth in Kupwara
New Delhi: The Army on Sunday said it is
ordering a probe "on its own" into the killing of a youth
allegedly by its personnel during a February 4 ambush in North
Kashmir`s Kupwara district following which a murder case was
registered against the unit.
"The Army is ordering an enquiry on its own, because
although we are quite sure as to what has happened,
nevertheless to clarify any doubts that may come up, we are
doing our own enquiry," Army Chief General VK Singh said.
According to official sources, Manzoor Ahmad Magray,
22, was allegedly shot dead by the troopers of 4 Para of the
Army who had laid an ambush in Chogal area of Handwara town
in Kupwara district.
Regretting the loss of life in the operation, Defence
spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said in a statement yesterday that
based on specific intelligence about movement of militants,
Army troops had laid an ambush to trap them.
At around 2230 hours, the troops detected suspicious
movement of two persons.
"As per the Standing Operative Procedures, the troops
challenged the individuals to surrender. Both the individuals
paid no heed and attempted to run away under the cover of
darkness. The troops opened fire resulting in fatal injuries
to Manzoor Ahmad Magray while the other unidentified person
escaped," Brar said.
Although the troops strictly adhered to the
procedures, the Army regrets the loss of life, more so, as the
year has been declared by the Army as the year of the
`Kashmiri Awam`, he said.
"We deeply and sincerely express our heartfelt
condolences to the bereaved family," he said.
J-K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has condemned the
The incident led to protests in Chogal as the
residents demanded arrest of the Army personnel involved in
the killing. A case under section 302 Ranbir Penal Code (RPC)
was registered against the 4 Para unit of the Army, sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday