Army orders probe into killing of youth in Kupwara
New Delhi: The Army on Sunday said it is
ordering a probe "on its own" into the killing of a youth
allegedly by its personnel during a February 4 ambush in North
Kashmir`s Kupwara district following which a murder case was
registered against the unit.
"The Army is ordering an enquiry on its own, because
although we are quite sure as to what has happened,
nevertheless to clarify any doubts that may come up, we are
doing our own enquiry," Army Chief General VK Singh said.
According to official sources, Manzoor Ahmad Magray,
22, was allegedly shot dead by the troopers of 4 Para of the
Army who had laid an ambush in Chogal area of Handwara town
in Kupwara district.
Regretting the loss of life in the operation, Defence
spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said in a statement yesterday that
based on specific intelligence about movement of militants,
Army troops had laid an ambush to trap them.
At around 2230 hours, the troops detected suspicious
movement of two persons.
"As per the Standing Operative Procedures, the troops
challenged the individuals to surrender. Both the individuals
paid no heed and attempted to run away under the cover of
darkness. The troops opened fire resulting in fatal injuries
to Manzoor Ahmad Magray while the other unidentified person
escaped," Brar said.
Although the troops strictly adhered to the
procedures, the Army regrets the loss of life, more so, as the
year has been declared by the Army as the year of the
`Kashmiri Awam`, he said.
"We deeply and sincerely express our heartfelt
condolences to the bereaved family," he said.
J-K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has condemned the
The incident led to protests in Chogal as the
residents demanded arrest of the Army personnel involved in
the killing. A case under section 302 Ranbir Penal Code (RPC)
was registered against the 4 Para unit of the Army, sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack