Boy mauled to death by leopard in Kupwara
Srinagar: In yet another incident of man-animal conflict in the state, a 10-year-old boy was mauled to death on Monday by a leopard in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The boy, who lived in Hayan village of the district, was playing when he was attacked by the big cat, a police spokesperson said.
A group of villagers raised an alarm and chased the leopard, which managed to escape into the nearby forest, he said, adding that the boy was taken to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Attacks by wild animals on human beings have increased across Kashmir Valley over the past couple of months, leaving seven persons, including four children, dead.
Several black bears and wild cats have also been killed by local residents and the wildlife department.
On May 24, Forest Minister Mian Altaf had said the government was planning to introduce a low-cost methodology using organic fencing to check increasing cases of man-animal conflicts in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city