CBI should probe custodial death of NC worker: NPP
Srinagar: Claiming "there is something fishy"
in the alleged custodial death of a NC worker, National
Panthers Party in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday demanded a CBI probe
into the incident and dismissal of Omar Abdullah government,
saying it had lost its mandate.
"This government has lost its mandate, there is a
constitutional breakdown in the state. We demand the Governor
should intervene... and immediately dismiss this government,"
Panthers Party MLA Balwant Singh Mankotia said here.
Syed Mohammad Yousuf, an NC worker from South Kashmir`s
Anantnag district, died allegedly in police custody after two
fellow party workers had accused him of taking Rs 1.18 crore
from them for getting them berths in the Legislative Council.
"The way government is speaking, we believe there is
something fishy in the case. Only the CBI probe can bring
out the truth," he said.
Opposition PDP had also asked for resignation of the
Mankotia, who was flanked by party MLC Rafiq Shah,
demanded a CBI probe into the death of Yousuf.
"Over the last two days, we have witnessed a very
important and controversial issue which also hampered the work
of the (legislative) Assembly. We demand a CBI probe into the
custodial death of Syed Mohammad Yousuf," Mankotia said.
The Panthers Party legislator also alleged that
government`s varying versions claiming that Yousuf died due to
a heart attack and then ordering a judicial probe hints
something "fishy" has happened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed