CBI should probe custodial death of NC worker: NPP
Srinagar: Claiming "there is something fishy"
in the alleged custodial death of a NC worker, National
Panthers Party in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday demanded a CBI probe
into the incident and dismissal of Omar Abdullah government,
saying it had lost its mandate.
"This government has lost its mandate, there is a
constitutional breakdown in the state. We demand the Governor
should intervene... and immediately dismiss this government,"
Panthers Party MLA Balwant Singh Mankotia said here.
Syed Mohammad Yousuf, an NC worker from South Kashmir`s
Anantnag district, died allegedly in police custody after two
fellow party workers had accused him of taking Rs 1.18 crore
from them for getting them berths in the Legislative Council.
"The way government is speaking, we believe there is
something fishy in the case. Only the CBI probe can bring
out the truth," he said.
Opposition PDP had also asked for resignation of the
Mankotia, who was flanked by party MLC Rafiq Shah,
demanded a CBI probe into the death of Yousuf.
"Over the last two days, we have witnessed a very
important and controversial issue which also hampered the work
of the (legislative) Assembly. We demand a CBI probe into the
custodial death of Syed Mohammad Yousuf," Mankotia said.
The Panthers Party legislator also alleged that
government`s varying versions claiming that Yousuf died due to
a heart attack and then ordering a judicial probe hints
something "fishy" has happened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister