Clear Leh-Manali Highway in three days: Omar to BRO
Leh: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah Monday asked the Border Roads Organisation to clear
the crucial Leh-Manali National Highway within next three days
to restore the road link of the region with the rest of the
The highway, which got swept away by flash floods triggered
by a cloudburst on Friday, is one of the two road-links between
the `cold desert` and other parts of the country.
The Chief Minister, who visited the flood-ravaged areas
of Leh, today held meetings with the officials and asked them
to ensure quick and effective relief work.
He later met the BRO Chief Engineer and directed him to
clear the Leh-Manali Highway within three days, but
acknowledged that Kargil-Leh portion may take some more time
as several bridges got washed away in the floods.
Omar directed the officials to ensure that procedural
formalities should not delay relief to the people affected by
the cloudburst and subsequent floods.
The Chief Minister has also instructed the ministers of
his Cabinet to avoid visiting the affected areas as it will
divert attention from the ongoing relief works.
Omar, who visited the affected areas of Saboo,
Choglumsar, old Leh town and the Army hospital for the second
time since the cloudburst struck on Friday night, interacted
with the people and assured them of all help from the state
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days