Curfew in Srinagar, other towns partially relaxed
Srinagar: Authorities Wednesday relaxed curfew restrictions in some areas of Srinagar and other towns of the Kashmir Valley to enable residents to buy essential commodities.
"Curfew restrictions were relaxed in entire Badgam district from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. today (Wednesday). It has also been relaxed in Kakapora, Lasipora and Rajpora areas of Pulwama district from 9 a.m. onwards," a senior police officer said.
"In Awantipora town of Pulwama district, it has been relaxed from 10 a.m. onwards. In Kupwara district, curfew relaxation started in Kralpora, Lalpora and Sogam areas from 10 a.m.," he said.
"In Srinagar city, restrictions have been relaxed from areas falling under police stations of Rajbagh, Lal Bazaar, Nigeen, Zakoora, Panthachowk, Bemina, Nowgam and Parimpora from 9 a.m. onwards Wednesday," the officer added.
The relaxation period could be extended in these areas depending on the law and order situation.
In old city areas of Srinagar, north Kashmir`s Baramulla and Sopore towns, no relaxation has been given in the curfew that was imposed there last Saturday.
Media persons who went to assess the situation in old city areas said tension is palpable in these areas.
Some local newspapers published their print editions Wednesday after remaining off the stands for two days.
Editors of some others who could not print their editions said because of non-availability of staff and circulation hindrances, they could not resume their publications although the authorities had asked them to continue with the publications.
Internet services on mobile phones and dongle appliances have still not been restored in the valley.
Many users complained it was difficult to access internet through BSNL broadband, which has remained functional so far.
Residents of old city in Srinagar and other areas complained that cable television operators who have resumed their services were not running any news channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test