Dalai Lama starts week-long Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama arrived here Thursday on a week-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah received him at the Srinagar airport.
"His highness the Dalai Lama arrived here on a week-long visit today after a gap of 25 years. He is likely to visit some Tibetan refugee settlements in Srinagar city and a Buddhist holy site near Harwan on the outskirts of the city," a senior government official said.
He will also visit the Hazratbal shrine, said the official.
During the ancient Buddhist period, the fourth Buddhist conference was held in Kashmir and resulted in a split of the followers into two sects. It is believed the meeting was held in Harwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'