Dalai Lama starts week-long Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama arrived here Thursday on a week-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah received him at the Srinagar airport.
"His highness the Dalai Lama arrived here on a week-long visit today after a gap of 25 years. He is likely to visit some Tibetan refugee settlements in Srinagar city and a Buddhist holy site near Harwan on the outskirts of the city," a senior government official said.
He will also visit the Hazratbal shrine, said the official.
During the ancient Buddhist period, the fourth Buddhist conference was held in Kashmir and resulted in a split of the followers into two sects. It is believed the meeting was held in Harwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez