Dalai Lama starts week-long Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama arrived here Thursday on a week-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah received him at the Srinagar airport.
"His highness the Dalai Lama arrived here on a week-long visit today after a gap of 25 years. He is likely to visit some Tibetan refugee settlements in Srinagar city and a Buddhist holy site near Harwan on the outskirts of the city," a senior government official said.
He will also visit the Hazratbal shrine, said the official.
During the ancient Buddhist period, the fourth Buddhist conference was held in Kashmir and resulted in a split of the followers into two sects. It is believed the meeting was held in Harwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!