Dalai Lama starts week-long Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama arrived here Thursday on a week-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah received him at the Srinagar airport.
"His highness the Dalai Lama arrived here on a week-long visit today after a gap of 25 years. He is likely to visit some Tibetan refugee settlements in Srinagar city and a Buddhist holy site near Harwan on the outskirts of the city," a senior government official said.
He will also visit the Hazratbal shrine, said the official.
During the ancient Buddhist period, the fourth Buddhist conference was held in Kashmir and resulted in a split of the followers into two sects. It is believed the meeting was held in Harwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you