Dialogue alone can resolve Kashmir problem: Interlocutors
Srinagar: Centre`s chief interlocutor on Jammu and Kashmir Dileep Padgaonkar on Monday said there is a deep yearning for peace and justice among people of the state and dialogue alone can lead to a political settlement of Kashmir problem.
The three-member team of interlocutors has reached some broad conclusions and one of them is that there is a deep yearning for peace and justice among people of the state, he said.
The other is that "dialogue alone conducted on a sustained basis and with sincerity can lead to a poltical settlement (of the Kashmir problem)," the eminent journalist told a "Peace Conference" here.
Padgaonkar said the Central team has met more than 500 delegations during their eight visits to Jammu and Kashmir.
"Since our appointment in October last year, we have met more than 500 delegations during our eight visits to the state so far.”
"We have met all kinds of people including those who have been displaced, so-called stone-pelters and the young," he said.
There is a view that pluralism should be upheld in the state as an example for rest of the country, Padgaonkar said.
"There is a belief the state should not be divided, trifurcated or bifurcated because it is one unit where all religions and all languages can blossom," he said.
There is also a need to take urgent measures to address issues agitating minds of the people, Padgaonkar said.
"Some issues are related to governance and some to confidence-building but none of these can take attention away from the main point which is political," he said.
No settlement can be arrived without the consensus of the people of Jammu and Kashmir, Padgaonkar said.
The conference, organised by the Jammu and Kashmir Peace Foundation, was attended among other by Governor NN Vohra, Arab League Ambassador to India Ahmed Salem al Wahishi and representatives of mainstream political parties.
Radha Kumar and MM Ansari, two other interlocutors, also attended the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?