DIG cheers as proteges crack civil services exam
Srinagar: A year after one of his proteges
topped the civil services examination, IPS officer Abdul Gani
Mir has reason to cheer this time also with two of his
students making it to the prestigious career.
Syed Abid Rashid Shah and Abid Hussain Sadiq are among
the six aspirants from Jammu and Kashmir who have cracked the
All India Civil Services Examination-2010, the results of
which were declared yesterday.
Shah and Sadiq were trained at Initiative for Competition
Promotion in JK, a non-profit making coaching centre started
by Mir two years ago to provide conducive atmosphere to
students preparing for civil services examination.
"We wanted to contribute to the society, so we started
this initiative," Mir, a 1994-batch IPS officer who is now
posted as central Kashmir DIG, said.
Shah Faesal, who was a student of the academy, had topped
the civil services examination in 2009.
"We contribute from our own pockets. We provide free
lodging and coaching to the students," Mir said.
Mir said eight IAS and KAS officers impart training to
the aspiring candidates but now those who have made it to the
civil services exam since last year are also part of the
At present 25 aspirants are undergoing coaching for the
state-level and national-level exams.
A total of 920 candidates, including 203 women, have been
selected for the Civil Services this year, which attracts the
largest number of candidates from different states.
Chennai-based law graduate S Divyadharshini topped the
prestigious examination. The second position was also secured
by a woman, Sweta Mohanty, a computer engineer, while R V
Varun Kumar, a dentist from Chennai, got the third rank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand