Dividing people, handiwork of PDP, BJP: Omar
Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday accused both PDP and BJP of dividing people in the name of religion and asked them to remain aware of conspiracies aimed at creating a wedge between communities.
"Dividing people in the name of region or religion can be the handiwork of `pen and ink pot` (PDP`s symbol) or `Kamal` (BJP`s symbol), but the bearers of `red flag with plough` (NC`s symbol) has always worked to unite the communities of Jammu and Kashmir," Omar said while addressing a public gathering at Mendhar in district Poonch.
Omar urged Gujjars and Bakerwals to live in harmony and reject those who try to "wedge them apart" for vote bank politics.
"Complement each others efforts and aim at welfare and development of weaker sections," he said.
Pointing at PDP`s absence from the recently concluded budget session in the Assembly, Omar said, "You are aware that the preachers and practitioners of divide and rule politics have left you alone after getting your votes."
"Your representative, under the command of party leadership, chose to remain out of Assembly proceedings and did not voice your demands in the House for petty political gimmickry," he said.
Mendhar is represented by PDP MLA Rafiq Hussain Khan.
Omar told people to send such representatives to the Assembly, who will stand for their cause and raise their demands on the floor of House.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister said Power Development department has assured him that the storm damaged electricity supply system in Poonch district will be restored by end of this month.
Strict orders for booking the persons responsible for heavy damage to the power system in the area have been issued, Omar said and added, erring officials will be handed over severe punishment under law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation