Education courses should increase employability: J-K Governor
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra said high priority should be accorded to educational courses which have good employment potential in existing and emerging job markets.
There is a need to critically examine employability potential while considering the introduction of any new course by universities, so that students passing out from such institutes of higher learning do not have to wait indefinitely to get placements, Vohra said yesterday.
The Governor, who is the Chancellor of the state universities, was chairing the 73rd meeting of the University Council at Raj Bhavan here.
He impressed upon the universities to start short-term vocational courses in identified disciplines to enhance employability of the youth.
Vohra said measures must be taken to strengthen monitoring mechanisms of universities to ensure that quality education is provided in their affiliated colleges as well as at the varsity campuses.
This is imperative to adequately equip our youth with knowledge and skills to successfully compete with their counterparts at national and international levels, he said.
He said Vice Chancellors should consider drawing up a five-year profile of the expected inflow of resources and the likely expenditures per annum, and based on such assessments evolve well considered plans for the introduction of new courses.
He said Action Plans should be drawn up and implemented for filling gaps related to physical infrastructure and faculty and work for securing envisaged educational goals.
Minister for Higher Education, Abdul Gani Malik, who was present in the meeting, suggested various measures for bringing all-round improvement in the quality of teaching and research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days