Fatwa against girls band: Restrictions under banner of religion not correct, says BJP VP
New Delhi/Lucknow: With Kashmir`s first all-girl rock band now facing a fatwa from Muslim clerics after threats on social networking sites, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) vice president Najma Heptulla on Monday said that such restrictions under the banner of religion are not correct.
"I think this is not justice for religion. If you don`t like the songs, then you should not listen to them, but to cite religion as an excuse to restrict them from singing is just wrong," she said.
Muslim cleric Khalid Rashid, however, supported the diktat and threat and termed the band as ``against the culture and traditions of India``.
"I think that their decision and their concern regarding the rock band and music are completely according to the basic tenants of Islam and such kind of music and such kind of rock bands are not allowed as far as Islamic teachings are concerned. And they are against the Indian culture and tradition and they also promote noise pollution," he told the media in Lucknow.
Support has poured in for the Kashmir Valley`s first all-girl rock band Pragaash, who have now stopped live shows following threats and criticism on social networking sites, from all sections of the society, including National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamta Sharma.
After threats, Kashmir`s first all girls music band is now facing a fatwa from Muslim clerics.
Kashmir`s Grand Mufti has condemned the rock band and issued a fatwa against them, saying music is bad for the society and women must be under a veil at all times.
The criticisms have hit the morale of these young girls, but they have remained defiant and are fighting on. 16-year-old Nazir is the vocalist and guitarist, while Khalid is the bass guitarist and
Deeba is the drummer. Both Khalid and Deeba are 15 years old.
The focus of this band, which is decided against public performances for now, is on producing an album.
The band Pragaash, which means from darkness to light, was formed last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed