First batch of Amarnath pilgrims to leave on June
Jammu: The first batch of pilgrims from Jammu will leave for the Amarnath cave shrine in South Kashmir Himalayas on June 3 when the annual Yatra commence from the next day, the VHP said here on Friday.
VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey told reporters here that thousands of `Shiv Bhakts` will come to Jammu from all parts of the country on June 2 and will move to the holy cave of Baba Amarnath the following day.
"In a meeting of all social, political and religious parties today at Jammu, the decision was taken to start the religious trip from June 4, the day of Jyeshtha Purnima", Dubey said.
The VHP leader, however, expressed his annoyance over the reduction in the time period of Amarnath Yatra.
In 2004 the religious trip was for 60 days, but now the period has been cut short to 39 days only, Dubey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened