Five foreign militants killed in Kashmir
Srinagar: Five separatist militants, all from Pakistan, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district Monday, police said.
"Five militants have been killed in this encounter. All of them belonged to the Hizbul Mujahideen group," a senior police officer told reporters.
The officer said all the slain guerrillas were foreigners belonging to Pakistan.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition has been recovered from the encounter site.
The officer also said the group of guerrillas had infiltrated into the Kashmir Valley about a month back from across the Line of Control (LoC).
"On specific information about the presence of a group of militants in the forest areas of Wangat village in Ganderbal district, troops of counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles and the special operations group of the state police launched a joint operation in the wee hours of the morning today," the police official said.
"When the group of militants was surrounded and challenged to surrender, they started firing at the security forces triggering an encounter," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what