Five foreign militants killed in Kashmir
Srinagar: Five separatist militants, all from Pakistan, were killed in a gunfight with security forces in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district Monday, police said.
"Five militants have been killed in this encounter. All of them belonged to the Hizbul Mujahideen group," a senior police officer told reporters.
The officer said all the slain guerrillas were foreigners belonging to Pakistan.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition has been recovered from the encounter site.
The officer also said the group of guerrillas had infiltrated into the Kashmir Valley about a month back from across the Line of Control (LoC).
"On specific information about the presence of a group of militants in the forest areas of Wangat village in Ganderbal district, troops of counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles and the special operations group of the state police launched a joint operation in the wee hours of the morning today," the police official said.
"When the group of militants was surrounded and challenged to surrender, they started firing at the security forces triggering an encounter," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"