Five persons commit suicide in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Five persons including a teenage girl ended their lives in separate incidents since yesterday in Kashmir Valley, where incidents of suicides have shown an alarming increase over the past couple of years despite a campaign by clerics against the trend.
A 17-year-old girl committed suicide by consuming poison at her home at Harveth village in Handwara area of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district last night, a police spokesman said.
28-year-old Jabeena and Kamran Yaseen Langoo (21) were found hanging yesterday in their houses at Gujjar Basti in Kokernag area of south Kashmir`s Anantnag district and Housing Colony Ompora in central Kashmir`s Budgam district respectively, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Mishri Kalas (51), a mentally-challenged person, also hanged himself to death at Sangerwani village of south Kashmir`s Pulwama district last night, he said.
Another mentally-challenged woman, Hameeda Begum (70), jumped into the power canal at Wayil Wuddar in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir yesterday, the spokesman said, adding that her body was fished out and handed over to her family members at Baba Wayil village.=
Suicide cases have been on the rise in the Valley, especially over the past couple of years, despite clerics campaigning against it.
Other religious and social organisations have also launched an awareness campaign against the growing trend of suicides, mostly among teenagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka