Five persons commit suicide in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Five persons including a teenage girl ended their lives in separate incidents since yesterday in Kashmir Valley, where incidents of suicides have shown an alarming increase over the past couple of years despite a campaign by clerics against the trend.
A 17-year-old girl committed suicide by consuming poison at her home at Harveth village in Handwara area of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district last night, a police spokesman said.
28-year-old Jabeena and Kamran Yaseen Langoo (21) were found hanging yesterday in their houses at Gujjar Basti in Kokernag area of south Kashmir`s Anantnag district and Housing Colony Ompora in central Kashmir`s Budgam district respectively, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Mishri Kalas (51), a mentally-challenged person, also hanged himself to death at Sangerwani village of south Kashmir`s Pulwama district last night, he said.
Another mentally-challenged woman, Hameeda Begum (70), jumped into the power canal at Wayil Wuddar in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir yesterday, the spokesman said, adding that her body was fished out and handed over to her family members at Baba Wayil village.=
Suicide cases have been on the rise in the Valley, especially over the past couple of years, despite clerics campaigning against it.
Other religious and social organisations have also launched an awareness campaign against the growing trend of suicides, mostly among teenagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks