Five persons commit suicide in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Five persons including a teenage girl ended their lives in separate incidents since yesterday in Kashmir Valley, where incidents of suicides have shown an alarming increase over the past couple of years despite a campaign by clerics against the trend.
A 17-year-old girl committed suicide by consuming poison at her home at Harveth village in Handwara area of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district last night, a police spokesman said.
28-year-old Jabeena and Kamran Yaseen Langoo (21) were found hanging yesterday in their houses at Gujjar Basti in Kokernag area of south Kashmir`s Anantnag district and Housing Colony Ompora in central Kashmir`s Budgam district respectively, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Mishri Kalas (51), a mentally-challenged person, also hanged himself to death at Sangerwani village of south Kashmir`s Pulwama district last night, he said.
Another mentally-challenged woman, Hameeda Begum (70), jumped into the power canal at Wayil Wuddar in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir yesterday, the spokesman said, adding that her body was fished out and handed over to her family members at Baba Wayil village.=
Suicide cases have been on the rise in the Valley, especially over the past couple of years, despite clerics campaigning against it.
Other religious and social organisations have also launched an awareness campaign against the growing trend of suicides, mostly among teenagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state