Flood threat looms over Jammu region
Srinagar: The weather office has forecast adverse conditions in the Jammu division on Friday but said there would be an improvement in the Kashmir Valley.
"Light to moderate rain would occur at most places in Jammu division, with isolated heavy rainfall in the next 24 hours," Met office Assistant Director Farooq Ahmad Khan said on Friday morning.
The official said the adverse weather advisory for Jammu division would continue in force for the next day, and people were advised to take necessary precautions.
"From yesterday morning till today morning, there has been 84.2 millimetres (mm) of rainfall in Jammu city, 28.6 mm in Bannihal, 85.4 mm in Batote, 76.8 mm in Katra, 129.2 in Udhampur and 105.9 in Bhaderwah of Jammu division," the official said.
Ten people have died in the Jammu region since Wednesday because of rain-related causes, after incessant rain ended in flash floods.
The official also said there would be light, intermittent rain in the Valley till Monday, but added that because of the intermittent nature of the expected rainfall, no floods were expected in the Valley.
Meanwhile, the water level in all the major and minor rivers and streams in the Valley has started falling since Thursday evening.
Jhelum River, Sindh stream and other rivers and streams had been swollen because of incessant rain in the Valley that started Wednesday.
The local flood control department confirmed that there was now no threat of floods in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’