Fresh snowfall likely in Kashmir
Srinagar: Rain and snow has been forecast again across the Kashmir Valley Sunday and over the next two days, an official said.
The fresh snow and rain is due to the western disturbance, he said.
"We are expecting snowfall in the Valley from Sunday up to Feb 14. The snowfall could be heavy in the Pir Panchal Mountain range. Both road and air traffic is likely to get disrupted because of the western disturbance that is active over the Valley at present," Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office, said.
Western Disturbance is used to describe an extra tropical storm in the Mediterranean Sea which results in sudden rain and snowfall.
WDs play an important role for the development of the Rabi crop in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Meanwhile, the minimum temperature was 1.7 degrees Celsius in Srinagar Sunday. It was minus 1.4 degrees in Pahalgam, minus 6.5 degrees in Gulmarg, minus 8.8 degress in Kargil and minus 11 degrees Celsius in Leh.
The 40-day long period of severe cold known as "Chillai Kalan" ended on Jan 30. The Valley experienced severe winter this season with the night temperatures remaining below the freezing point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data