Gangotri shrine to be closed on Nov 6
Dehra Dun: The portals of the famous
Gangotri shrine in Garhwal Himalayas will be closed for
winters on November 6.
The shrine, dedicated to Goddess Ganga, would be closed
for pilgrims on the occasion of Annakut Parv, a day after
Deepawali, chairman of Shri Gangotri Temple Committee Sanjiv
Semwal said today.
The date for closure of Gangotri, situated at a height of
more than 10,000 feet in Uttarkashi district, was decided at a
meeting of temple committee yesterday.
Gangotri is one of the four main Himalayan shrines,
commonly known as `Char Dham` that also include Badrinath,
Kedarnath and Yamunotri.
So far, over 3.50 lakh pilgrims have visited the Gangotri
shrine this year, Semwal said.
The shrine is closed in October-November every year as
the area remains snow-bound during winters. The idol of Ganga
is kept in nearby Mukhba village for worship during the
period. The shrine reopens for pilgrims in April-May next
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you