Hizb ultra, two security jawans killed in gunfight
Srinagar: A Hizbul Mujahideen militant and
two security force jawans, including a police Sub-Inspector,
were killed in a fierce gunbattle with ultras in Tral town in
south Kashmir on Tuesday.
Police and troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles launched a
search operation in Dadsar village in the town, 35-km from
here, following a tip-off about the presence of militants
there, officials said.
As security force personnel entered the house where
the ultras were hiding, they faced a volley of bullets fired
by the militants.
Sub-Inspector Norbo and an army jawan were killed in
the firing, the officials said.
The security forces retaliated and in the ensuing
gunbattle a self-styled Hizb district commander identified as
Sajad Ahmad Dar alias Balle Balle was killed.
After the gunfight which lasted for nearly two hours,
security forces entered the house and retrieved the bodies of
The ultras had managed to escape from the house.
Later, the security forces conducted searches in the
area and recovered the body of Dar.
The slain militant was said to be involved in the
killing of National Conference leader Ghulam Mohiuddin Bhat at
Pinglish in Tral town on Macrh 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway