Jamaat-e-Islami to stay away from Lok Sabh polls
Srinagar: Jamaat-e-Islami Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday announced that it will not take part in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
"Jamaat-e-Islami will follow its practice of not taking any direct or indirect part in the parliamentary elections," the socio-religious party said in a statement after a meeting chaired by Ameer-e-Jamaat (head of the party) Mohammad Abdullah Wani.
Jamaat was taking part in elections since its inception till the eruption of militancy but has since boycotted the poll process, seeking resolution of Kashmir issue.
It was active in the separatist movement and had a representative in the executive council of the undivided Hurriyat Conference.
After the split in the separatist amalgam in 2003, Jamaat has focussed its attention on socio-religious and education aspects only.
While hardline Hurriyat Conference faction headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a boycott of the elections, other separatist outfits including moderate Hurriyat faction and JKLF have termed the poll exercise as futile and an attempt to hoodwink the international community on Kashmir issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents