J&K: 7 injured in protester-police clashes
Srinagar: Seven people, including two policemen, were injured in clashes between protesters and police in the twin north Kashmir towns of Sopore and Baramulla on Monday.
A protester, identified as Farooq Ahmad Wandroo, 23, was injured critically in Sopore town when police used batons and fired tear smoke canisters to disperse an irate mob that indulged in heavy stone pelting at the police.
"Farooq Ahmad Wandroo has been shifted to Srinagar for specialised treatment after he was injured in clashes with the police", a senior police officer said here.
Some eye-witnesses, however, said Wandroo had received a head injury after a tear smoke shell hit him during the protests.
In adjoining Baramulla town, where a teenager, Irfan Ahmad Lone, was killed Fon riday after being hit on the head by a tear gas shell, protesters continued to clash with the police.
"Six persons, including two policemen, sustained minor injuries in today`s (Monday) clashes in Baramulla town where the situation was gradually showing signs of improvement even though tension continued in the old town areas there," police here said.
Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Farooq Ahmad has told media that the deployed policemen in Baramulla have been exercising "great restraint while tackling the unruly mob in the town".
The state government has already ordered a magisterial probe into the circumstances that led to the death of Lone.
Hardline separatist leader and chairman of the breakaway Hurriyat group, Syed Ali Geelani, who continues to remain under house arrest here, had called for afternoon protests against the Baramulla incident throughout the Valley Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing