J&K separatist groups call for strike over shrine
Srinagar: Several separatist groups on Monday called for a general strike on Tuesday over gutting of the 200-year-old shrine in Khanyar area of the city even as two separatist leaders were roughed up by protestors during their visit to the scene.
The outfits, including Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), and Kashmir High Court Bar Association (KHCBA) have separately called for a strike tomorrow.
While JKLF called for strike as a mark of respect to the shrine, the advocates` body called for a bandh to protest the "burning of the shrine" and failure of the government to protect the historic centre of religious importance and cultural heritage.
The lawyers also struck work in the courts today to express grief and register protest over the incident.
Even the moderate faction of Hurriyat conference also supported the strike.
Muttehada Majlis-e-Amal, a religious body headed by moderate Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, called for an impartial probe into the incident within one week so that facts about it can be made public.
Meanwhile, moderate Hurriyat Conference leaders Shabir Ahmad Shah and Nayeem Ahmad Khan were roughed up by protestors at Khanyar as they were heading towards the gutted shrine complex. The leaders had to beat a hasty retreat from the spot.
Shah, later, accused ruling National Conference of orchestrating the attack on him and Khan.
However, the protestors did not even spare Law Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar, who is a local MLA and belongs to the National Conference, when he tried to visit the spot soon after the fire broke out.
The minister`s motorcade was targetted by protestors by pelting stones. However, there was no damage reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now