Kashmir mountains receive snowfall
Srinagar: Light to moderate snowfall began Saturday morning in higher reaches of the Valley as the weather office said rain or light snowfall would occur in summer capital till Sunday.
The hill stations of Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg and other higher reaches of the Valley in Jammu and Kashmir received moderate snowfall during the night. It snowed in the morning as well.
"The night temperature was minus 3.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Saturday). It was minus 7.0 in Gulmarg, minus 5.6 in Pahalgam, minus 12.4 in Leh and minus 11.2 degrees Celsius in Kargil town of the Ladakh region.
"The minimum temperature in Jammu city today (Saturday) was 4.8 degrees Celsius, five notches below normal," said Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office here.
The 40-day period of harsh winter, known locally as the `Chila Kalan` began Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it