Kashmir mountains receive snowfall
Srinagar: Light to moderate snowfall began Saturday morning in higher reaches of the Valley as the weather office said rain or light snowfall would occur in summer capital till Sunday.
The hill stations of Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg and other higher reaches of the Valley in Jammu and Kashmir received moderate snowfall during the night. It snowed in the morning as well.
"The night temperature was minus 3.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Saturday). It was minus 7.0 in Gulmarg, minus 5.6 in Pahalgam, minus 12.4 in Leh and minus 11.2 degrees Celsius in Kargil town of the Ladakh region.
"The minimum temperature in Jammu city today (Saturday) was 4.8 degrees Celsius, five notches below normal," said Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office here.
The 40-day period of harsh winter, known locally as the `Chila Kalan` began Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!