Kashmir mountains receive snowfall
Srinagar: Light to moderate snowfall began Saturday morning in higher reaches of the Valley as the weather office said rain or light snowfall would occur in summer capital till Sunday.
The hill stations of Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg and other higher reaches of the Valley in Jammu and Kashmir received moderate snowfall during the night. It snowed in the morning as well.
"The night temperature was minus 3.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Saturday). It was minus 7.0 in Gulmarg, minus 5.6 in Pahalgam, minus 12.4 in Leh and minus 11.2 degrees Celsius in Kargil town of the Ladakh region.
"The minimum temperature in Jammu city today (Saturday) was 4.8 degrees Celsius, five notches below normal," said Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office here.
The 40-day period of harsh winter, known locally as the `Chila Kalan` began Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister