Kashmir Valley, Ladakh freeze as mercury plummets
Srinagar: Cold wave continued unabated throughout Jammu and Kashmir on Monday as the minimum temperatures remained below the freezing point across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region.
While Srinagar recorded the night temperature of almost five degrees Celsius below zero, Kargil town in the Ladakh region was the coldest at 16.4 degrees Celsius below the freezing point, the weather office here said.
"The night temperature was minus 4.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Monday). It was minus 8.2 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, and minus 9.8 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg," the Met Office said about the condition in the valley.
Leh town recorded the minimum temperature at minus 14.2 degrees Celsius.
"The present cold weather conditions will continue during the next 48 hours as the weather is likely to remain dry throughout the state during this period," said a weather official.
The Kashmir Valley is passing through the harsh 40-day period of winter, locally known as the `Chillai Kalan`.
Most water bodies, including parts of Dal Lake, here have already frozen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard