Kashmir Valley, Ladakh freeze as mercury plummets
Srinagar: Cold wave continued unabated throughout Jammu and Kashmir on Monday as the minimum temperatures remained below the freezing point across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region.
While Srinagar recorded the night temperature of almost five degrees Celsius below zero, Kargil town in the Ladakh region was the coldest at 16.4 degrees Celsius below the freezing point, the weather office here said.
"The night temperature was minus 4.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Monday). It was minus 8.2 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, and minus 9.8 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg," the Met Office said about the condition in the valley.
Leh town recorded the minimum temperature at minus 14.2 degrees Celsius.
"The present cold weather conditions will continue during the next 48 hours as the weather is likely to remain dry throughout the state during this period," said a weather official.
The Kashmir Valley is passing through the harsh 40-day period of winter, locally known as the `Chillai Kalan`.
Most water bodies, including parts of Dal Lake, here have already frozen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion