Kashmir Valley, Ladakh freeze as mercury plummets
Srinagar: Cold wave continued unabated throughout Jammu and Kashmir on Monday as the minimum temperatures remained below the freezing point across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region.
While Srinagar recorded the night temperature of almost five degrees Celsius below zero, Kargil town in the Ladakh region was the coldest at 16.4 degrees Celsius below the freezing point, the weather office here said.
"The night temperature was minus 4.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Monday). It was minus 8.2 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, and minus 9.8 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg," the Met Office said about the condition in the valley.
Leh town recorded the minimum temperature at minus 14.2 degrees Celsius.
"The present cold weather conditions will continue during the next 48 hours as the weather is likely to remain dry throughout the state during this period," said a weather official.
The Kashmir Valley is passing through the harsh 40-day period of winter, locally known as the `Chillai Kalan`.
Most water bodies, including parts of Dal Lake, here have already frozen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Turmeric compound may play pivotal role in treating colon cancer
- IT industry must skill workforce to hold position globally: NASSCOM
- BJP demands probe into role of National Conference in Kashmir unrest
- Black Money: Don't want to be big brother watching, says Arun Jaitley
- China removed missiles from South China Sea islands ahead of UN verdict