Landslides halt traffic on Jammu-Bhadarwah highway
Bhaderwah: The Jammu-Bhadarwah national highway, the only road link between Bhadarwah and rest of the country, was on Sunday closed for vehicular traffic leaving over 500 vehicles stranded.
The highway was closed since early morning due to massive landslides and shooting stones at Shahpura-Purano on Doda-Bhadarwah stretch, about 175 kms from Jammu, a Border and Roads Organisation (BRO) official said.
He added that they were working to clear the debris caused by landslides but shooting stones were making the task difficult.
They are hopeful to restore the traffic soon, the official said.
"The highway was closed for vehicular traffic today due to huge landslide at 6:00 am and continuous shooting stones thereafter, the BRO men and machine reached here at 9:00 am but till now road link could not be restored. We are waiting here for the last eight hours," said a Jammu bound passenger Mohd Sultan.
Meanwhile, the locals are up in arms against the BRO authorities, alleging, unauthorised extraction of stones and use of sub-standard material in retaining walls was causing repeated landslides and sinking of road on Doda-Bhadarawah stretch.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report
- Supreme Court approves single common entrance test for medical courses; NEET to be conducted in two phases