Legislator injured in Jammu and Kashmir Assembly ruckus
Jammu: A lawmaker from opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) was injured during a ruckus in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Tuesday after which the speaker adjourned the house till Wednesday.
Mushtaq Ahmad Shah suffered a fall during the ruckus in the state Assembly on Tuesday when PDP legislators stalled the proceedings, alleging discrimination against areas represented by them in setting up new administrative units by the state government.
Ahmad was taken for treatment to the Jammu Medical College Hospital.
After failing to restore order, Speaker Mubarak Gul adjourned the house till Wednesday.
When the Assembly session began in the morning, the speaker had to adjourn the house for 15 minutes after the PDP legislators protested over setting up of new administrative units in the state.
PDP legislators thumped desks and stood up at their seats, alleging the state government`s recent decision to set up 659 new administrative units was politically motivated.
They alleged the move was to strengthen the electoral prospects of the ruling Congress-National Conference alliance.
Chaudhary Zulfiqar Ali, a PDP legislator from Dharhal constituency in Rajouri district, jumped into the well of the house, shouting slogans against the state government`s alleged discriminatory decision.
When the house met again after the first adjournment, PDP legislators continued to agitate.
There were heated exchanges between Independent legislator from Langat constituency Engineer Rasheed and Minister Mohammad Akbar Lone from the National Conference.
Speaking to the media outside the Assembly, PDP president and legislator Mehbooba Mufti said there has been gross discrimination against areas represented by the PDP in the proposed new administrative units.
She said her party would not allow normal functioning of the house till the rights of people seeking new administrative units are met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city