LeT recruitment module busted in Kashmir
Srinagar: A recruitment module of the terror group Laskhar-e-Toiba (LeT) has been busted in Jammu and Kashmir`s Baramulla district and seven people have been arrested, police said Wednesday, adding that a "major terror and subversion plan" has been averted.
Locals were being recruited into the LeT to "execute various terrorist actions" in Sopore, about 50 km from here, a police statement said. A Pakistani terrorist called Fahadullah was also operating in the area, it added.
"Police in Sopore town have busted a recruitment module of terrorist outfit LeT, thus averting a major terror and subversion plan of the terrorists. Seven members of the terror module were arrested from different areas of Sopore town and adjoining areas," the statement said.
It added that "local boys were recruited into the outfit, building a network of LeT operatives who were bent upon executing various terrorist actions in and around Sopore in criminal conspiracy with one Pakistani terrorist code-named Fahadullah, who is operating in Sopore"
Fahadullah had been taking directions from a terrorist code-named Hanzullah, an LeT commander based in Pakistan.
"Fahadullah is the only surviving active LeT terrorist of Pakistani origin in Sopore. After being indoctrinated with Jihadi ideology, the group members had formally joined LeT organisation and were provided the communication gadgets and weaponry," the police statement said.
"Before being baptised into the organisation. the members of the module have been assigned various tasks of couriering the weapons and money, identifying the targets vis-a-vis security installations and arranging communication devices."
According to police, some members of the module were preparing to visit Pakistan on "legal documents to get further training in bomb making and other terrorist activities, while others were preparing other terrorist actions including grenade attacks on VIP rallies and attacks on police and security forces".
Ammunition and weapons, including an under-barrel grenade launcher (UBGL), a detonator, a rocket launcher and four hand grenades, were seized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India