Lt Gen Saha meets J&K Guv; apprises on infiltration bids
Srinagar: General Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based 15 corps Lt Gen Subrata Saha today called on Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra here and briefed him about the recent attempts by militants to infiltrate into the Valley from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
"Lt Gen Saha called on the Governor at the Raj Bhavan and briefed him about the recent attempts at infiltration from across the Line of Control (LoC)," an official spokesman said after the meeting.
Army troops foiled several infiltration attempts in Kupwara district of north Kashmir over the past fortnight, killing seven militants. An Army jawan also lost his life during the encounters.
The spokesman said the army commander also discussed the overall security situation with the Governor. He also gave the Governor, who is also Chairman of the Shri Amarnthji Shrine Board, the Army`s inputs about certain aspects of the ongoing Amarnath pilgrimage which is scheduled to end tomorrow.
The 44-day long annual pilgrimage to the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas commenced on June 28 and so far over 3.72 lakh pilgrims paid their obeisance at the shrine housing the naturally formed ice-Shivlingam. As many as 43 pilgrims died during the yatra this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Why cholera is more deadly for people with type O blood
- US Open: Andy Murray, Serena Williams swing into action on Day 2
- China must recognise South China Sea ruling: Philippines
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles