Mehbooba Mufti re-elected PDP president
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir`s Opposition PDP
on Monday re-elected incumbent party chief Mehbooba Mufti as its
president for the fourth time after she won the elections
52-year-old Mehbooba, a law graduate from the University
of Kashmir, joined politics in 1996 when she was elected from
Bijbehara Assembly seat on Congress ticket.
She subsequently broke away from Congress and contested
the 1999 Lok Sabha elections as a PDP candidate from Srinagar
but lost to sitting NC member Omar Abdullah.
In 2002, she won the Pahalgam Assembly seat in south
Kashmir and was elected as PDP president for the first time in
2003 and has been holding the post since then. She became a
member of the Lok Sabha in 2004 from Anantnag seat.
PDP spokesman Nayeem Akhtar welcomed Mehbooba`s
re-election and said that during her tenure, she would work
towards strengthening the democratic process in the state.
He also welcomed the Supreme Court notice to the Union
government seeking response on a plea for CBI probe into the
mysterious death of National Conference leader Mohammad Yusuf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich