Militants attack police team in J&K’s Sopore; 4 cops killed
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: In a major ambush, militants on Friday killed four policemen in Sopore area of Baramulla district in North Kashmir.
Militants opened indiscriminate fire on a police team near Haigam, 65 kms from here, on Sopore-Kupwara road this evening, Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Abdul Gani Mir told PTI.
"Four cops -- a head constable, constable and two Special Police Officers (SPOs) -- were martyred in the attack," Mir said.
The four policemen were on their way to Haigam to probe a complaint of robbery when they were ambushed by militants in a lane of the village.
The slain policemen have been identified as head constable Abdul Rehman, constable Mudasir Ahmad and SPOs Gulshan and Mudasir Ahmad Parray.
Mir said security forces have cordoned off the area to track down the militants involved in the attack.
The phone call made to report the robbery was also being traced as police suspect this could have been a hoax to lead the police party into a trap.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsbility for the attack.
This is the first major militant strike in north Kashmir following the arrest of top LET commander Qari Naveed, alias "Fahadullah", last week.
Official sources said the militants, after killing the policemen, decamped with their service rifles.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth