Militants fire at CRPF men in Srinagar; 7 injured
Srinagar: Seven CRPF personnel were injured in a militant attack in Srinagar early Wednesday.
Reports said two bike-borne militants opened indiscriminate firing on a CRPF vehicle in which jawans were travelling.
The incident occurred in the Rainawari area.
"Seven CRPF troopers were injured in the firing. The jawans were immediately evacuated to hospital for treatment. The condition of two is critical," an officer said.
Authorities rushed heavy reinforcements to the area, which has now been surrounded for searches to trace the two motorcycle-borne assailants who fired at the vehicle.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hard-line separatist leader, Syed Ali Shah Geelani had called for a shutdown Wednesday to coincide with the alleged rape and murder of two women in south Kashmir`s Shopian town in May 2009.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred