Militants fire at CRPF men in Srinagar; 7 injured
Srinagar: Seven CRPF personnel were injured in a militant attack in Srinagar early Wednesday.
Reports said two bike-borne militants opened indiscriminate firing on a CRPF vehicle in which jawans were travelling.
The incident occurred in the Rainawari area.
"Seven CRPF troopers were injured in the firing. The jawans were immediately evacuated to hospital for treatment. The condition of two is critical," an officer said.
Authorities rushed heavy reinforcements to the area, which has now been surrounded for searches to trace the two motorcycle-borne assailants who fired at the vehicle.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hard-line separatist leader, Syed Ali Shah Geelani had called for a shutdown Wednesday to coincide with the alleged rape and murder of two women in south Kashmir`s Shopian town in May 2009.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption