Militants warn women in Kashmir not to use mobiles
Srinagar: Hitherto unknown militant outfits have asked women in Kashmir to observe `purdah` and not to use mobile phones in public.
"People should ensure that girls observe purdah in public places. If we spot any woman without purdah we will sprinkle acid on her face," handwritten posters of `Lashkar Al Qaeda` and `Alqaeda Mujahideen` warned.
The posters, appearing at many mosques in militancy-hit Shopian district a few days ago, threatened, "If we spot any girl using mobile phone, she will be shot dead."
Police officers in south Kashmir range are, however, tight-lipped about the posters.
"We are investigating the matter and it is too premature to say whether these posters are genuine or just a prank," a senior police officer said today on condition of anonymity.
Warning sarpanches and panches in south Kashmir to relinquish their posts or face dire consequences, the posters asked them to announce their resignation during Friday prayers.
Official sources said many grassroot-level representatives have announced their resignation during the Friday prayers but have not put in their papers before the authorities concerned.
Similar posters had surfaced in south Kashmir`s Tral township earlier this year, prompting some panches and sarpanches to quit.
The names of the militant outfits, which have purportedly issued the posters, have surfaced for the first time in the two decades of turmoil in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened