Militants warn women in Kashmir not to use mobiles
Srinagar: Hitherto unknown militant outfits have asked women in Kashmir to observe `purdah` and not to use mobile phones in public.
"People should ensure that girls observe purdah in public places. If we spot any woman without purdah we will sprinkle acid on her face," handwritten posters of `Lashkar Al Qaeda` and `Alqaeda Mujahideen` warned.
The posters, appearing at many mosques in militancy-hit Shopian district a few days ago, threatened, "If we spot any girl using mobile phone, she will be shot dead."
Police officers in south Kashmir range are, however, tight-lipped about the posters.
"We are investigating the matter and it is too premature to say whether these posters are genuine or just a prank," a senior police officer said today on condition of anonymity.
Warning sarpanches and panches in south Kashmir to relinquish their posts or face dire consequences, the posters asked them to announce their resignation during Friday prayers.
Official sources said many grassroot-level representatives have announced their resignation during the Friday prayers but have not put in their papers before the authorities concerned.
Similar posters had surfaced in south Kashmir`s Tral township earlier this year, prompting some panches and sarpanches to quit.
The names of the militant outfits, which have purportedly issued the posters, have surfaced for the first time in the two decades of turmoil in the Valley.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged