Mirwaiz placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Chairman of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, was today placed under house arrest here, a day ahead of the fourth death anniversary of separatist leader Sheikh Abdul Aziz.
"Mirwaiz was placed under house arrest at his Nigeen residence after he returned from Jamia Masjid after the Friday prayers," a spokesman of the Hurriyat chairman said.
During his Friday sermon, Mirwaiz had questioned the government`s move to put hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest.
He asked the government to lift the curbs on Geelani`s movement which had prevented him from fulfilling his religious obligations during the month of Ramzan.
The Hurriyat had organised a function to mark the death anniversary of Aziz who was killed in a firing incident at Chahal in Baramulla district when leading a march towards LoC during the Amarnath agitation in 2008, the spokesman said.
Earlier, police detained Geelani as he tried to break the cordon outside his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers. Geelani was lodged at Humhama police station, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing