Mirwaiz placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Chairman of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, was today placed under house arrest here, a day ahead of the fourth death anniversary of separatist leader Sheikh Abdul Aziz.
"Mirwaiz was placed under house arrest at his Nigeen residence after he returned from Jamia Masjid after the Friday prayers," a spokesman of the Hurriyat chairman said.
During his Friday sermon, Mirwaiz had questioned the government`s move to put hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest.
He asked the government to lift the curbs on Geelani`s movement which had prevented him from fulfilling his religious obligations during the month of Ramzan.
The Hurriyat had organised a function to mark the death anniversary of Aziz who was killed in a firing incident at Chahal in Baramulla district when leading a march towards LoC during the Amarnath agitation in 2008, the spokesman said.
Earlier, police detained Geelani as he tried to break the cordon outside his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers. Geelani was lodged at Humhama police station, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress