Mirwaiz placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Chairman of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, was today placed under house arrest here, a day ahead of the fourth death anniversary of separatist leader Sheikh Abdul Aziz.
"Mirwaiz was placed under house arrest at his Nigeen residence after he returned from Jamia Masjid after the Friday prayers," a spokesman of the Hurriyat chairman said.
During his Friday sermon, Mirwaiz had questioned the government`s move to put hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest.
He asked the government to lift the curbs on Geelani`s movement which had prevented him from fulfilling his religious obligations during the month of Ramzan.
The Hurriyat had organised a function to mark the death anniversary of Aziz who was killed in a firing incident at Chahal in Baramulla district when leading a march towards LoC during the Amarnath agitation in 2008, the spokesman said.
Earlier, police detained Geelani as he tried to break the cordon outside his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers. Geelani was lodged at Humhama police station, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!