Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Restrictions have been imposed on Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq who was to address a Friday congregation at the historic Jamia Mosque here, with police saying no one would be allowed to disturb the peace in Srinagar.
Mirwaiz told mediapersons on phone that he was about to leave for the Jamia Mosque when a heavy contingent of security forces was posted outside his uptown Nigeen residence in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.
"I was informed that I would not be allowed to move out of my house. I intended to offer the Friday prayers at the Jamia Mosque," the Mirwaiz said.
A senior police officer said nobody would be allowed to disturb the peace in the city. "The separatist leaders are free to go anywhere they like, but that cannot be at the cost of the prevailing peace here," the officer said.
Another senior separatist leader, Shabir Shah, chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, has also been placed under house arrest at his uptown Sant Nagar residence in the city, according to party sources.
Police said hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani had not been placed under house arrest and was free to offer the Friday prayers.
Sources close to Geelani said he would offer the prayers at the Iqra Mosque in Sarai Bala area of Srinagar city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'