Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Restrictions have been imposed on Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq who was to address a Friday congregation at the historic Jamia Mosque here, with police saying no one would be allowed to disturb the peace in Srinagar.
Mirwaiz told mediapersons on phone that he was about to leave for the Jamia Mosque when a heavy contingent of security forces was posted outside his uptown Nigeen residence in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.
"I was informed that I would not be allowed to move out of my house. I intended to offer the Friday prayers at the Jamia Mosque," the Mirwaiz said.
A senior police officer said nobody would be allowed to disturb the peace in the city. "The separatist leaders are free to go anywhere they like, but that cannot be at the cost of the prevailing peace here," the officer said.
Another senior separatist leader, Shabir Shah, chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, has also been placed under house arrest at his uptown Sant Nagar residence in the city, according to party sources.
Police said hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani had not been placed under house arrest and was free to offer the Friday prayers.
Sources close to Geelani said he would offer the prayers at the Iqra Mosque in Sarai Bala area of Srinagar city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt