Modi will bring back Vajpayee era of more engagement with J&K: BJP
New Delhi: Reaching out on Thursday to the Kashmir- based parties, BJP invoked the days of the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government and said that Narendra Modi will bring back the era when there was more "engagement" with Jammu and Kashmir to ensure that peace and development reached the state.
Party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said there was near "unanimity" that the NDA government had done much more for J&K than the UPA regime.
She was apparently responding to recent comments by Kashmir-based politicians, including moderate Hurriyat Conference leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, that the NDA government had taken steps to resolve the Kashmir issue.
"If you see the NDA, it took better decisions on Kashmir ... If NDA and BJP walk in his (Vajpayee`s) footsteps, then there is a lot of hope," Farooq had said in a recent interview as he accused UPA of seeing the region`s problems as being a security issue alone.
Sitharaman said that, "Modi will bring back the days of Vajpayee. We will like to remind you that it is the NDA which is being seen with hope."
BJP`s position on J-K is well known, she said while referring to the "insaniyat" (humanity) and "insaaf" (justice) invoked by Vajpayee to reach out to Kashmiris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened