No curfew relaxation in violence-hit areas of Kashmir
Srinagar: With the situation remaining tense in violence-hit areas of the Kashmir Valley, authorities on Thursday gave no relaxation in curfew in Sopore, Baramulla and Anantnag and tightened security measures in Srinagar ahead of a proposed march by separatists.
The first batch of Amarnath pilgrims comprising 1,272 people proceeded to 3,880 metre cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas through the traditional Pahalgam and the shorter
Baltal routes this morning, officials said.
The pilgrims had reached the twin base camps of Nunwan and Baltal from Jammu last evening. Additional security forces have been deployed on both the routes to ensure safety of the pilgrims.
Curfew restrictions, which were imposed in seven police station areas of Srinagar on June 28 following violence, were further tightened today in the wake of separatists call to the women of the valley to march to `Pather Masjid` in the old city.
Contingents of women police personnel have also been deployed in the sensitive areas to prevent the march called by hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference headed by its jailed
leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
All roads leading to Pather Masjid have been sealed and road blockades erected to prevent the march.
To curb spread of violence in the wake of the killing of youths in alleged firing by security forces, authorities yesterday brought under curfew more areas in south Kashmir.
In view of protests in several areas of Anantnag and Kulgam districts yesterday, authorities did not relax curfew in Bijbehara, Mattan, Dooru, Kokernag, Achhabal in Anantnag, and in Kulgam and Pulwama districts.
Meanwhile, life continues to remained disrupted in Srinagar and other parts of the valley with government offices, banks and educational institutions remaining closed and transport services being off the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars