No immediate respite from cold in Kashmir: Met office
Srinagar: Minimum temperatures throughout the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region remained several notches below freezing point on Friday as cold conditions prevailed unabated in the area.
The Met office said the dry weather is likely to continue for the next 24 hours till Saturday morning, which would push the night temperatures further down because of the clear night skies.
"The minimum temperature was minus 2.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar, minus 8.8 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, and minus 7.2 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg on Friday, a Met official told a news agency.
"In Leh town (of Ladakh region), the minimum temperature was minus 11.1 degrees Celsius while in Kargil town (of the same region), it was minus 16.2 degrees Celsius today (Friday). The minimum temperature was 7.3 degrees Celsius in Jammu city," the official added.
The biting cold has caused partial freezing of major lakes and other water bodies in the Valley while most lakes and rivers in the Ladakh region are already frozen.
Thousands of migratory birds present in the Valley to avoid the extreme cold of their summer homes in Siberia, the Philippines, Japan and China are finding it difficult to feed in the frozen bird reserves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India