No immediate respite from cold in Kashmir: Met office
Srinagar: Minimum temperatures throughout the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region remained several notches below freezing point on Friday as cold conditions prevailed unabated in the area.
The Met office said the dry weather is likely to continue for the next 24 hours till Saturday morning, which would push the night temperatures further down because of the clear night skies.
"The minimum temperature was minus 2.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar, minus 8.8 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, and minus 7.2 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg on Friday, a Met official told a news agency.
"In Leh town (of Ladakh region), the minimum temperature was minus 11.1 degrees Celsius while in Kargil town (of the same region), it was minus 16.2 degrees Celsius today (Friday). The minimum temperature was 7.3 degrees Celsius in Jammu city," the official added.
The biting cold has caused partial freezing of major lakes and other water bodies in the Valley while most lakes and rivers in the Ladakh region are already frozen.
Thousands of migratory birds present in the Valley to avoid the extreme cold of their summer homes in Siberia, the Philippines, Japan and China are finding it difficult to feed in the frozen bird reserves.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged