No panchayat members will contest MLC elections: AJKPC
Jammu: All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC) on Wednesday said none of its members would contest the MLC election from panchayat quota.
"We make it clear that no member of AJKPC shall contest the MLC`s election and we shall continue our fight for the empowerment of the Panchayati Raj institution in the state of Jammu and Kashmir," chairman of AJKPC, Shafiq Mir, told reporters here.
"We are here to strengthen democracy at grassroots level, at Panchayat halqa level. We are more concerned for the safety and security of our panches and sarpanches not to become MLCs," he said.
The Election Commission today said polls to fill up two vacancies in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council from the panchayat quota will be held on December 3.
Mir accused the government of deliberately announcing the MLC elections from panchayat quota to divert the attention from the real issue of the grassroots level institutions in the state.
These elections are nothing but an eyewash and panches and sarpanches have never made any such demand, he claimed.
Before announcing and holding the MLC elections, the state government should have implemented 73rd amendment of the Constitution regarding Panchayati Raj, Mir said.
He also appealed to the Election Commission to hold on these election till the three tier system of Panchayati Raj is established in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened